Thursday, May 27, 2004

Well here is one for you.

I am the HR Mgr for a 10 unit 500 employees’ restaurant chain. One of my sites called on Tuesday about 9:00am and said they caught a guy eating while working, definitely a no- no for us. The guy is reprimanded, suspended and told to go to the H.R. Office Tuesday at 9:00am. Thursday at 8:00 am he is banging at the door “let me in” I let him in and he starts the Ming. Every other word is F&*^-YOU! I calm him down and start asking questions, “Tell me what happened?”” Where were you working at the time?”

Well, long story short he came in early ate breakfast (which the restaurant paid for,) and then clocked –in and went to work in the kitchen. An hour later the manager notices him chewing, she asks him, “What are you eating?” After swallowing, he looks at the Manager dead in eye and he says

“NOTHING”

He admits to me that he found a half a bagel on the floor and picked it up and ate it.
He then told me that since he was the best employee we ever had we would never fire him. I then opened his folder to see 2 notes for no call, no shows. A third note for talking on cell phone while sweeping and another for returning 20 minutes late from a 10-minute break. All the notes were from the last 15 days. Yeah, “BEST EMPLOYEE” I say to myself. I show him the statement he signed at Orientation that theft of any kind would result in his termination. He explains that since the bagel was on floor we could not sell it, so it could not be theft and that he had been eating in the kitchen every day since he started. Throw a few MF’s in there and you get his story.

“ I always eat the stuff that hits the floor.”

He leans back in his chair and smiles, “So when do I go back to work?”

I look at him and say,

“Please return at 2:00 pm with your uniform so that I can give you your final check”

“F(*&-You, F$#@ all of you your not firing me you MF’s”

He jumps up heads for the door goes out slams it hard enough that the nearest window that was closed blew open.


All of that before 8:10 am I didn’t even have my coffee.

He returns at 3:00 pm and gets his check, his term document, and his un-employment handbook and asks me for a reference, yep a reference. I told him that employees that are terminated can’t get references from us and then he says,




“How about a personal reference from you”

I tell him, “Sorry, not from me.”

He jumps up and screams“ Well F*&^-YOU, You F%$#ing Asshole!

Once again he slams the door, window opens where I follow him outside to see him peel out in his car make a fast U-Turn and hits a parked car across the street, lots of damage to both cars he is not hurt but is trying to back his car out of the wreckage and the very next car down the street is the police.

Sometimes you just have to wait a little bit for karma.



No comments: