Thursday, December 02, 2004

The huge amount of SUV’s on the road today is unbelievable. It seems to me that most people drive a behemoth of a vehicle to go get a cup of coffee. I have employees working for me making minimum wage or a little above that drive $40,000.00 vehicles. My god the amount of money that they put into the down payment or what their payments are is mind-boggling. The kicker isn’t the money but that they drive it just to work and home and back and forth. I have teenagers working for me that have these vehicles as well

The kids that drive these monsters also seem to be on the cell phone as well. They drive wild, not paying attention to what happens around them. Oblivious to any one but themselves they seem to have no purpose than to otherwise drive around and annoy the neighbor hood. Other drivers can’t seem to drive fast enough for these kids or always seem to be in the way. No blinkers, never paying attention just running the streets

Earlier today a young lady driving a brand new Ford Expedition rides up behind me flashes her lights, honks her horn. Clearly she is in a hurry and I’m not, I pull over, she is on the cell phone and flips me off as she goes by.

She speeds up and turns a corner on the phone and turns wide and hits a van. When I pull up to the accident scene the older man driving the van is in bad shape. This girl, (really just a girl) drove to big a car, too fast, not paying attention and causes a bad accident. The first words out of her mouth are to the person she’s talking top on the cell phone. She is talking on the cell phone to a girlfriend about a party she’s going to while the driver on the van is bleeding to death. I call 911 and suddenly a few other drivers stop. A nurse happens to stop and helps stop the bleeding on the injured mans leg. Fire trucks and paramedics, finally the police. Swear to God the girl is still on the phone when the police pull up.

After a few minutes the police officer asks the girl what happened and she says,
”He hit me” The officer asks her to put her cell phone away while he interviews her, she asks the police officer, “Do I have too.”

The man is driven away in the ambulance when I approach the officer to explain what I saw and how she was driving when she went pass me. The young lady overhears my discussion with police officer, runs over and yells something at me in a foreign language. The police officer steps in takes my statement. When he looks in Expedition, he finds a bag of make-up all over the front seat and floorboards, a soda, (not spilled) and she says, “When he hit me I was putting on my make-up, look what he did to my face.”

I looked at the officer and said, “Thank-God this is your job”

No comments: